Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription or Fee Access

An Anthropometric Analysis of the Key Foramina for Maxillofacial Surgery in Indian Population A Skull Study

Anjani Kumar Jha, Dr. C Ravindran

Abstract


The aim of the study was to determine the location of important maxillofacial foramina relative to frequently encountered surgical landmarks among the Indian population. Various measurements (864) were made on 75 human dry skulls and 57 mandibles to evaluate the position of supraorbital, infraorbital and mental foramina. The method employed was same as that followed by Cutright et al. in their study. Analysis of the data determined the supraorbital foramen to be an average of 2.5 cm lateral to the nasal midline and 2.8 cm medial to the temporal crest of the frontal bone. Of the supraorbital foramina 78.6 % were notches and remaining 21.4% were foramina. The average distance of an infraorbital foramen was 2.7 cm lateral to the maxillary midline, 0.56cm from the inferior orbital rim and 0.18cm medial to the zygomaticomaxillary suture. The mental foramen was an average of 2.8cm lateral to the mandibular skeletal midline and their position relative to adjacent teeth was below the apices of second premolar. These values may be of assistance in locating the three important maxillofacial neurological structures while performing various maxillofacial procedures. Understanding the variation in the location of the three foramina will also assist the clinician in performing local anesthesia.


Key words: Supraorbital foramen, infraorbital foramen and mental foramen.


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2019 Research & Reviews: A Journal of Dentistry