Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription or Fee Access

Assessment of Hematological Disorders in Patients Using Phenytoin With or Without Nutritional Supplements

Meda Venkata Subbaiah, Beparie Bushrah Anjum, Sabavath Omkar Naik, V Ganesh, M Purushothaman

Abstract


 

Phenytoin is the most prescribed drug in controlling the epileptic seizures for prolonged period and this can lead to life-threatening adverse events. This prospective study is aimed to find out the incidence of hematological disorders (HDs) in patients receiving Phenytoin. The authors have screened 100 patients receiving phenytoin for ≥ 6 months, of whom 35 were recruited as per the eligibility criteria and their hematological parameters were noted, 90% of patients have developed anemia and the remaining 10% have developed other HDs. Patients receiving Phenytoin along with the IFA alone, both IFA and BC have shown better HB values (11.25 g/dL) than patients receiving B-complex alone (9.68 g/dL) and the authors have assessed the nutritional status of the study subjects and found 67% patients were well nourished. Incidence of Phenytoin-induced hematological diseases; especially anemia was observed in most of the patients, co-prescription of nutritional supplements in combination of folic acid along with Phenytoin will diminish the incidence of Phenytoin-induced hematological disorders. Regular and periodical monitoring of hematological parameters of patients under Phenytoin therapy for long-term period is necessary for early identification and management of HDs.

 

Keywords: Phenytoin, hematological disorders, nutritional supplements, folic acid, anemia

 

Cite this Article

Venkata Subbaiah Meda, Anjum Beparie Bushrah, Naik Sabavath Omkar et al. Assessment of hematological disorders in patients using phenytoin with or without nutritional supplements. Research and Reviews: Journal of Medicine. 2015; 5(3): 1–5p.


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) Research & Reviews: Journal of Medicine