Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription or Fee Access

A Descriptive Study to Assess the Psychosocial Dysfunction among Adolescents Studying in Jammu Public School, Jammu

Sain Priya


The period of growth and development between childhood and maturity is known as adolescence. This period of life is the crucial period for adolescents, for their physical and social adjustment. If proper care and attention are not provided during this time of transition, teenagers are more likely to develop a variety of psychosocial issues that will have a lasting effect. Our research study was to assess the psychosocial dysfunction among adolescents (12–18 years) in Jammu public school of Jammu and to find out the association between psychosocial dysfunction with their selected demographic variables Descriptive cross-sectional study design was chosen as the research method, and quantitative research methodology was applied in the study The main study was conducted in Jammu Public School Sainik Colony, Jammu. 60 students were selected through purposive sampling technique and psychosocial dysfunction was assessed by Youth-Pediatric Symptom Checklist (Y-PSC). The study had shown that 32% of subjects had psychosocial dysfunction and the other 68% had no psychosocial dysfunction. The findings indicated a substantial relationship between psychosocial dysfunction and the demographic factors father education level and adolescent age. Therefore, more concrete steps including outreach campaigns for kids, parent and teacher training, and care for the psychological and social well of teenagers are required.


Adolescence, Psychosocial problems, awareness, illness, socioeconomic, diagnosiable

Full Text:



Mihalyi. "Adolescence". Encyclopedia Britannica2022

adolescence. Accessed 27 July 2022.

Physchosocial, Wikipedia. 2016,

Diagnostic and statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th edition, text revision (DSM-IV-TR). Washington DC: American Psychiatrics Press,inc,2000

Bista Bihungum et al. psychosocial problems among adolescent students: Exploratory study in central region Nepal. Frontiers in public health.2016; 4:158.

Kafle Mana, Timalsina Rekha. Psychosocial problems among school going adoloscents in Nepal.Psychiatry Journal. 2018:1-6.

Patel V, Chisholm D, Dua T, et al., Neurological, and Substance Use Disorders: Disease Control Priorities.2016; 4.

E.Jahan, and R.H Shakil, A Critical analysis on the adolescence relationship with parents. IOSR J. of Humanities and Social sc.2015:49-60.

Mishra DK, Thapa TR, Marahatta SB, Mahotra A. Bullying Behavior and Psychosocial Health-A Cross-sectional Study among School Students of Pyuthan Municipality. J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2018;16(1):73-78.

Thapa K, Bhandari PM, Neupane D, et al., Physical activity and its correlates among higher secondary school students in an urban district of Nepal. BMC Public Health. 2019; 19(1):886.

Neupane D, Bhandari PM, Thapa K, Self-reported child abuse in the home: a cross-sectional survey of prevalence, perpetrator characteristics and correlates among public secondary school students in Kathmandu, Nepal. BMJ Open. 2018; (6):e018922.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2022 Research & Reviews: Journal of Neuroscience

This Journal archive has been shifted to: